East Side Clinical Laboratory, a leader in the medical laboratory industry, is seeking an experienced Laboratory Department Supervisor for our Microbiology Department to have the opportunity to lead a dedicated technical team of people!
Hours: 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday
Full Time 40 Hours, Exempt Salaried Position
Reports to: Laboratory Operations Manager
Responsibilities: Responsible for establishing objectives, action plans and efficient operational systems within the assigned laboratory department. Oversees the daily activities of departmental personnel including timecard submissions. Ensures the integrity and timely turnaround of laboratory results. Makes recommendations concerning the direction of the laboratory department.
Performs, reviews and reports laboratory tests that will assist in the diagnosing and treating of patients. Uses education and training for operating equipment and employing manual test methods. Performs quality assurance and control procedures in adherence with standard operating procedures, federal, state, and CAP regulations. Once trained, Medical Laboratory Scientists and Medical Laboratory Technicians working at ESCL are authorized to independently process specimens, perform tests, and release results (except those test results which may require secondary, lab director or consultant pathologist review – see training checklists).
- Plans and schedules daily laboratory activities in order to meet established timetables.
- Writes and maintains department procedure manuals in accordance with CAP and other accrediting agency requirements. Trains departmental personnel or delegates training to a qualified employee in all laboratory procedures. Ensures by observation that all departmental personnel are proficient in performing all testing requirements and equipment maintenance.
- Ensures that all departmental testing, equipment maintenance, quality control and proficiency testing is in compliance with CAP, federal and state regulations. Is responsible for providing information to federal and state officials during a departmental inspection.
- Maintains “state-of-the art” knowledge and technical experience for the applicable laboratory department. Maintains knowledge of equipment and makes recommendations for improvements.
- Ensures that quality control measures are completed on all laboratory tests. Follows protocol for running controls and accepting/verifying results
- according to established procedures. Recognizes and evaluates discrepant controls and takes necessary steps to correct.
- Is proficient in all laboratory testing in the department. When necessary performs laboratory procedures, both manual and automated, using established procedures and controls (see training checklists for detailed descriptions of procedures). Releases test results.
- Establishes instrument calibration and maintenance protocols and ensures that all instrument calibration and maintenance is documented and conducted according to established protocol.
- Evaluates staffing requirements and makes recommendations for changes when necessary. Schedules vacations and monitors absences for assigned personnel. Performs formal competency evaluations on all personnel.
- Communicates with other laboratory departments and medical professionals concerning new procedures, departmental specimen requirements and analysis of test results. Responds in a timely manner to requests from Administration for data, analysis of data, or other information.
- Directly supervises all technical personnel in department. Ensures that department personnel adhere to company and departmental safety procedures, and conducts annual evaluations.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Requirements: Thorough knowledge related to the area assigned. Knowledge at a level typically attained upon the successful completion of a B.S in Medical Technology or Biological, Chemical or Physical Science, or educational equivalent. Registered as a Medical Laboratory Scientist (Medical Technologist) by the American Society of Clinical Pathology Board of Certification or Medical Laboratory Technician with HEW certification. At least 6 to 8 years of relevant experience beyond educational. Must be organized and possess excellent communication skills. Knowledge of computer systems. Position requires a Saturday or weekend rotation. Provide required documents as noted in ESCL Driving Policy if mobile/driving duties are assigned
- Extensive sitting, phone and computer use.
- Capable of standing continuously for up to 2 hours.
- Extend and reach with hands and arms and use hands and fingers.
- Occasionally required to climb, balance, bend, stoop, kneel or crouch.
- May be required to lift, move and carry up to 15-20 pounds.
- Hearing acuity sufficient to effectively communicate with customers and Employees via telephone and in person.
- Ability to communicate verbally on phone and in person.
- Fluency in the English language.
- Extended hours may be required.
ESCL is an Equal Opportunity and an Affirmative Action Employer
“All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or protected veteran status. East Side Clinical Laboratories takes affirmative action in support of its policy to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.”